Monday, October 17, 2016

Fredericksburg & Chancellorsville

Off to Civil War battle sites today.  This area is so rich in history, one could never expect to see it all. We drove for a little over two hours to get to Fredericksburg Visitor Center, where we perused the displays, walked around the Sunken Road, and received directions to Chatham Manor.  Once we toured the manor we headed off to the Chancellorsville Visitor Center.  Both of these battles were won by the Confederate Army...high casualties on both sides.  Because of these wins, Lee felt he could move on to fight in the North, heading to Gettysburg, which was his only offensive battle in the North and the beginning of the end.
I guess this is a good time to add a disclaimer *The events in history that I describe are based on what I remember, which I can't be 100% is accurate :)

Touring these sites I come away with a couple of different thoughts...

  • General Lee was an incredible strategist and surrounded himself with very able generals, including General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, who was shot by his own men at Chancellorsville.  
  • The Union generals were often indecisive and ill prepared.  Until Grant, the plan was to take Richmond.  Once Grant was brought on the tactic was to go after Lee, a strategy that proved to be successful.
  • I wonder if it's hard for people in this area, as the battlefields are a constant reminder of the Souths loss?
History becomes real when you are able to surround yourself with it. There is so much to share, but so little computer time, plus we have another hour or so drive back....

Chatham Manor


To Fredericksg - Skyline Drive ► 211E ► 522S ► 15S ►3E
Gas purchased at 7-Eleven in Wilderness Corner, VA - $2.05/gal
Total miles travelled - 176.5


3 comments:

  1. Just caught up on your blog...nice job, and your tidbits about history are interesting; however, I won't remember them, so good thing there's this blog to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting...I'm glad someone is reading...at least I think that I am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting...I'm glad someone is reading...at least I think that I am

    ReplyDelete