Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Walmart Camping - Deming, NM

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

We're heading to Tucson to visit Wilson's niece and her family, but it will take two days to get there from Big Bend, so.....another camping night at Walmart.

We tried to break up the trip to two drive days, which means another night at Walmart.  We left Big Bend on the west side of the park.  It was about 80 miles before we came across a town of substance, meaning gas, restaurants, etc.

At 3:01 pm we entered the Mountain Time Zone on the I10 west of Van Horn.

We stopped at the Walmart in Deming, NM, where we were greeted with a security person who helped guide us to the "camping" spots....we were with probably about 9 other campers and a host of truck drivers...I tried taking a picture but the lighting was crappy.  Walmart camping seems to be quite popular.

Leave Big Bend NP - 10:20 am
Rte. 118N►90W►10W
Gas - Stripes - Alpine, TX - $2.29/gal
Gas - Shell - Fabens, TX (exit 48) - $2.05/gal
Arrive Deming, NM Walmart (exit 82B off I10) - 6:04 pm/7:04 pm (time change)

While driving I watched the most incredible sunset that I have ever seen.  It was so mesmerizing, I was a bit distracted while driving.  This was in New Mexico....although it was my only experience in NM, I'm in love with the state and I can't wait until we have an opportunity to go back.  We may head to Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge on our way back to VT.  The refuge is a big birding area and is located in San Antonio, NM, just south of Albuquerue.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a place I would enjoy too and love birds. Glad you had a breath taking moment there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a place I would enjoy too and love birds. Glad you had a breath taking moment there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you and Winston made it to New Mexico. Every time I visit my aunt I fall in love all over again. And, I have been to Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge with my aunt and brother. Granted it was in January and not as lush, but we spent lots of time hiking and exploring. You should time your visit to sunset and watch the cranes and snow geese dance in the sky. Check out this link and I'll email you more info. You have to go! And don't forget to go to Ojo Caliente for a retreat. Happy New Year road trippers Patty and Winston!

    http://www.desertusa.com/desert-new-mexico/bosque-del-apache.html

    ReplyDelete