Thursday, March 1, 2018

MIH Travel Day – Getting closer to Mount Rushmore


Wednesday, August 3, 2017



Today is a travel day.  We’re headed to the Beymont Inn in Hot Springs, SD. We had looked for campsites in the area but there were no openings due to the bike rally.  The written log that I keep in the car has several random notes which I will transcribe here, despite their nonsensical nature.

Rolling hills dotted with cows, Black Angus cows perhaps – very few trees.  Is this the type of landscape that Lewis & Clark saw on their explorations? Are traveling through what is considered the Plains?

After only and hour and 45 minutes of driving we enter Mountain Time.

We pass portions of the Badlands, brief glimpses of walls of gray rock which seem to sprout from the straw colored fields.  Cliffs… The fields are dotted with large, round bales of hay – they look like straw cows standing in a field.  The exit for Badland National Park (131) passes by.  Although there is interest in stopping it’s not part of our plan for this trip.

We stop at a Cabela’s in Rapid City.  It is here that we learn that Cabela’s allows camping in their parking lot, like Walmart.  We purchase a new set of binoculars, as the ones we had are not that strong.  We also purchase the yellow, plastic stabilizer supports which I have been lusting for since we purchased our camper.  The stabilizers are a belated birthday gift for me.  I’m extremely happy about getting rid of the wooden boards that we previously used.  I’d like to say that my excitement of the purchase is totally practical (we no longer need to contend with wet wood) but that wouldn’t be totally true.  I like the aesthetics of having all of our stabilizers match…I also like the fact that plastic is a lot easier to deal with while wet and they come with their own little holder which keeps things nice and tidy.  Always the thrifty travelers, we apply for a Cabela’s card and save money on our purchase.  We also get two gifts for signing up, a travel mug and a cap.  I promptly commandeer the cap and leave Wilson with the cup.

While in Rapid City we stop at a AAA to pick up maps.  Wilson loves maps!  I love the GPS on my phone, but will reluctantly admit that having paper maps has been nice as well.  Rapid City has sculptures on the street corners of the presidents.  While Wilson was in AAA I took a few pictures of them. Warren G. Harding and his dog are pictured below.  I love finding little surprises like these sculptures in places where we stop.  It’s such a delightful surprise!


Leave Boondockers in Oacoma, SD after a very windy night – 7:40am - 59°
Rte. 90W►79S►385N
Gas - Exit 192, Murdo/White River - $2.35/gal
Entering Mountain Time – 9:14/8:14am (my notes say we’ve traveled 173.5 miles and that the sign is on 91, but without a map in front of me, I’m not sure if this is a typo as my route notes don’t take us on 91
Gas – Rapid City, SD – Phillips 66 - $2.29/gal
Arrive – Beymont Inn, Hot Springs, SD 1:48/12:48pm
Miles traveled – 263.8

No comments:

Post a Comment