Monday, March 5, 2018

Tower Hill Wildlife Preserve

Tower Hill is Victoria's first National Park.  Tower Hill is a volcanic formation believed to have erupted about 32,000years ago.  Its formation is known as a "nested maar".  During formation molten lava pushed its way up through the Earth's crust and encountered a layer of water-bearing rock.  Violent explosions followed creating a shallow crater which later filled with water to form the lake.

Geologically speaking, Tower Hill is very interesting although that is not the reason that I enjoyed going there.  Tower Hill is filled with wildlife.  It was there that I saw my first koala bear, emu, and kangaroo in their natural environment.  I went there three different times, once with Wilson, once with Wilson, Ann, & Clive, and once on my own.  Wilson and I were forever talking about going at sunset so that we could see kangaroos but unfortunately with Wilson having to travel back to the States he was unable to go....which is why I went by myself.

It was a real treat to see the kangaroos.  I had a great video of a mother and her joey in her pouch but I accidently deleted it from my phone.  A moment to complain - I googled how to retrieve lost data and spent several hours watching youtube videos and downloading sites that offered recovery with a trial period but alas I was unable to recover the video without buying the full program...Irritating!! I guess I have to just go with the still picture of the momma and baby (in the foreground).

 




No comments:

Post a Comment