Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Paterson - A Movie Review

There was a limited release of a new movie called Paterson and Wilson and I were very excited to be able to see it at The Landmark Theater in Los Angeles. I felt as if I was practically going to a premier of the film (look I even dressed up for the occasion).

    

Why was I so excited to see it you might ask?....go ahead and ask....ok, I'll tell you...The poems that were used in the film were written by our poet friend Ron Padgett.  He is a well respected, well published poet and author...but most of all, he's just a really good friend.

The movie is about a bus driver who writes poetry in Paterson, NJ.  Ironically the bus driver is named Paterson (Adam Driver). The movie chronicles a week of his life with much of the focus on his daily routine and the composition of poems which he keeps in a little notebook.  The supporting characters, which include his wife Laura (Golshifteh Farahani), a lovesick friend from the local bar, Everett (William Jackson Harper), and his dog Marvin (Nellie) offer a bit of comic relief from Paterson's day to day life.  The various "randomness" of people Paterson encounters during his day also lend a surrealness to his daily experiences.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the movie, as I really was just excited about it because Ron's poems were being highlighted.  I must admit that I spent the first half hour or so waiting for something to happen until I realized that I was actually missing the point of the film.  In a Seinfieldish way I could describe it as a movie about nothing, but that would be far from the truth.  I think it would be better described as a movie that highlights life as we all know it, a life of routine with bits and pieces that add color to it each day if you stop to pay attention.  Ron's poems highlight the ordinary while adding a layer to the subtle and not so subtle aspects of the movie.  I left the movie feeling hopeful and appreciative of the little things of everyday life.

I also left the film thinking that I could also write about the everyday or the little things that one might not notice in daily life...I have actually been inspired in the past to write a couple of poems based on my observations while waiting in NYC for a computer from the Apple Store...I thought they were pretty good but they are long gone now, so I can't share those (I'm sure you are disappointed).  What I can share are a few random thoughts that I wrote down while Wilson drove the 50 minutes back to where we were staying....who knows I may be inspired to attempt my hand at poetry again...:)

  • "As a courtesy to our neighbors please refrain from honking" - a sign I read while listening to several cars honk their horn in the parking lot of the theater
  • Hiccup
  • Mulholland Drive, Ventura Boulevard, Santa Monica Boulevard - California seems so familiar - the influence of movies & television even when you don't realize it
  • Car lights travelling both lanes of the highway are reminiscent of red & white strands of Christmas lights - depending on which direction you are looking from - traffic, traffic, California traffic
  • Sense of confidence, feeling of strength in reference to California drivers - of course they're crazy drivers and often inconsiderate as I've noted before, but they do it with great confidence :)
Thanks Ron!

No comments:

Post a Comment