Monday, December 10, 2018

A Renewal of My Blog

I've obviously have been absent from writing over the past year plus and I have decided it's high time to begin again.  I've been a bit rigid in wanting to following the timeline of my journey which has paralyzed me a bit.  I will continue to update the past year (I have several entries in draft form) as I find time, but as of now I will begin a new journey....a journey that began November, 2018...Of course the anal part of me will reorder everything as I publish the past, but I can't wait to catch up on a year plus of travel AND stay current.  I know myself too well and will find that I'll never catch up if I stay chronological, which will lead to the abandonment of the blog, which I don't want to do.

After spending the majority of the summer in Vermont, Wilson and I are back on the road.  We sold Elwood (our most recent camper) and purchased a small, enclosed, trailer that we will tow with our belongings.  All of the things that we decided to take with us would fit in the bed of our truck but the cover on the bed isn't airtight and I feared that our belongings would get wet.  The trailer is only 350 lbs. (empty), which will drastically help to improve our gas mileage as we travel across to the west coast once again.

The decision to sell the camper was done based on the fact that this year we will be doing less camping and, hopefully, more pet/house sitting.  We will be traveling west and then back east relatively quickly based on our current commitments, making camping time pretty much non-existent.  The money that we received from the sale of the camper will allow us to spend our travel nights in hotels vs. campgrounds, as the time will be spent only as single night stops along our path.

We didn't want to give up the idea of camping totally so we purchased tent cots.  I've been a bit obsessed by these little wonders since I first saw others with them in past camping experiences.  They set up very quickly and will be a great solution for those nights that we do spend in a campground.  We've also packed a two-room tent that we have for those times that we camp for longer than a night or two (dependent on fair weather ☺).  Given our schedule I don't see that happening very often but it's nice to have the option available to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment