Monday, December 10, 2018

Next Stop, Media, PA

November 23 - 28, 2018

A short but sweet visit with Joe, but it's time to continue our journey southward.  Our next stop is Media, PA where Wilson's sister lives.  Media is a second home to us and while we're on the east coast we find ourselves here on a regular basis.

While here we enjoy visiting with Patti along with her son (Jeff) and her three grandchildren.  Patti had all sorts of leftovers from Thanksgiving so it was nice for me to be able to use those to make new meals.  I made scalloped potatoes with ham, which was the night we invited niece Beth for dinner.  Without a kitchen of my own it's always nice for me to be able to cook in a kitchen that I feel comfortable in, the fact that they are always so appreciative and complimentary about my cooking doesn't hurt either ☺.  It's always fun getting together with them.

 
Dancing lesson with Jeff & Alexa*
The Floss, The Hiker, & Orange Justice - too funny
*Clip has been edited in consideration of a young girl feeling self-conscience 
while having a little fun at her father's expense 

While in the Philadelphia area we always try to get together with nephew Ray as well.  He's a very busy man, juggling the family business, a music career, parenting his young son, Rory, and so much more.  He is a very passionate, interesting man and he often reminds me of my own son not only in his demeanor but also his looks.  We spent a few hours with him, which included lunch and a haircut for young Rory.  Although we didn't get a chance to spend time with his wife, Anne, we were able to pop in to their business to say hi before heading back to Media.

I think I enjoy my time with Ray and Beth so much because they are only a few years younger than I am.

While we're in Media I'm able to get my "kid" fix with the grand nieces.  It's always fun spending time with them.  They are the sweetest little girls and I feel fortunate that they are in our lives.  They seem to enjoy us too which makes it reminiscent of visits with my own aunts and uncles in that they look forward to seeing us as I did with mine.

I must admit that spending time with them also stirs the wishful grandmother in me.  That chapter in my life is still a ways off but I do long for it sometimes.  As a parent I think I was good but I think I'm going to be a great granny (my choice in monikers), I'm emotionally available on a whole different level now. 
*In case you haven't noticed yet I'm trying to also be more emotionally available within this blog....hoping to share more than we went here or we saw that.

Back to it .... We had planned to visit a cousin-in-law in Hatteras, NC, but due to illness we ended up staying an extra day in Media which did not leave us time for that visit.  Hopefully we will be able to connect with them on our way back north in the spring.  If we didn't have a commitment in Columbia, SC we would have made the visit, but there were two little beagles awaiting us there.

Leave Boston, MA - 8:55am, 30° 
Rte. 90W (The Pike)►84W
10:25am CT Welcomes us, 11:57am NY Welcomes us
►287W, over the Mario Cuomo Bridge, formerly known as the Tappan Zee 
1:02pm NJ - I didn't see a Welcome Sign, so I'm not sure if they actually welcomed us, but we did cross the Hudson into NJ
Delaware Water Gap Sign - reminders of our first trip and our time spent there...and respent when we had to return from Gettysburg to pick up our backpack that was left...Interestingly enough, we've driven to Philadelphia this way many times and I don't ever recall seeing this sign
►202S
Gas - Raritan, NJ, Shell Cash price $2.59/gal $2.49 w/card - we thought this was a good deal but found it cheaper in less than five miles away
►31S►579S►295N
2:52pm PA Welcomes us
►295N changes to 295W in PA ►95S►476N (The infamous Blue Route)
Arrive - Media, PA 3:50pm
Miles traveled - 352.4

No comments:

Post a Comment