Monday, January 29, 2018

Wrigley Park, James Taylor, & Bonnie Raitt

Sunday-Tuesday, July 16-18, 2017

(First off I would like to apologize for the redundancy of photo pages.  In going back and reading what I had already written about I see that I wrote some of the same things on the picture pages.  I guess that is what happens when you wait six plus months to finish what you start.

We left our house sit on Sunday traveling a whole 3.2 miles to the Sleep Inn which took us all of 11 minutes.  While in Chicago we wanted to go to Wrigley Park but luck was not on our side, or so it seemed.  The Cubs were playing away games after the All-Star break so there were limited times to see them.  Not only did the times not work for us you couldn't get a ticket for less than $50.  I like baseball but I don't like it that much...perhaps if it was my team playing I might fork that over, but even then I probably wouldn't.  In researching the tickets I found that while the Cubs were away, James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt would play...at Wrigley Stadium that is.  We could get tickets as low as $12 a piece...but we splurged and spent $27 a piece. 

The concert was Monday, July 17 and we had a great time.  We took the train to Wrigley Park station, stopped by to pick up our free iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts (from the White Sox game) and proceeded to the park.  We had a great time!  We got to the park early enough to roam around...interestingly enough many of the higher priced seats had less visibility than ours did because of the production equipment.  Our seats were pretty far up but I chose a first row so there was no one in front of us....We hiked to our seats, looked to get a beverage but they were even more expensive at this park...crazy what you have to pay when you don't have any other choices....The people in back of us didn't have any problem spending $13 for a beer...they arrived with beer in hand and clearly a giant buzz on....I was pretty sure that beer was going to be spilled on us at some point in the evening...for the record I wasn't wrong, fortunately I was away to the bathroom when it happened, otherwise a cat fight might have ensued:).. We moved down a few seats and sat next to a couple of men who also had a buzz going on...Really???? The concert had a wide variety of ages in attendance but the people around us were probably close to my age...I would have thought that they would have outgrown the drunken concert stage by now...The drunkenness did not deter us from enjoying the music.  James and Bonnie are still going strong even after all these years....timeless some might say.
As an aside:  Wilson proposed to me in May of 1989 at the Governor Bradford Inn in Plymouth, MA.  We went to a concert which included Bonnie Raitt and many others at Great Woods.




No comments:

Post a Comment