Saturday, November 26, 2016

Grand Isle State Park - Louisiana - Happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday - Sunday, November 23-27, 2016
It's time to meet up with Michelle & Tom, our new camper friends from NH, at Grand Isle State Park. We met Michelle & Tom at Dauphin Island and they were the ones to tell us about Grand Isle.  They remind me a little bit of Maryanne & Jeffrey, my sister and brother-in-law.

We took a ferry across the Mighty Mississippi, Alex's first ferry ride.  Wilson was also excited by this ride because we were able to cross for free due to his now advanced age :)  There are some perks to growing old....I may have already said that previously, but really we must keep reminding ourselves of them.
                                                     

Again, the cost of the campground is $20/night.  The sites are lined up in a row, with a little green space between them, but really no sense of privacy.  What is really nice is that they are all pull through sites, making it easier to park Alex.  What is really not nice is that the place is swarming with mosquitoes. In fact they were spraying something to try to control them, which can't really be good for us.

We had our first social gathering with Michelle & Tom in our Clam (canopy).  Jim Beam, wine, cheese, pepperoni, & crackers, veggies & dip, and pretzels.  Nothing fancy, but it was nice....that is until they started spraying and Michelle was concerned about her cat, which she had left outside.  We went to put her back in the their camper and came upon another cat attacking their cat...Michelle was understandably shaken, but I think the cat will be fine.  She has a bit of a limp but no puncture wounds.  Needless to say our evening was cut short.

We spent our Thanksgiving here.  We had a rotisserie chicken (bought), mashed potatoes (instant), stuffing (Stove-Top), gravy (packet), brussel sprouts, and sweet potato (both of which I actually cooked). As you can see from my plate, I think we did pretty well.  It was delicious too!
                                                     
I thought that the holiday would be difficult but it really wasn't, at least for me.  I'm exactly where I want to be and am thankful for that.  I'm thankful for my family as well, but as I continue to say, life changes.  This holiday not only affects my sisters, brother-in-laws, and kids it also affected my Uncle Tom and Burke cousins, as they always came to VT for Thanksgiving.  New traditions are being made.  I spoke to both kids and all three of my sisters.  In fact, when I spoke to Theresa she mentioned that this was the first family holiday that she has ever hosted at her house...I didn't really think about it in those terms as we've always celebrated at my mother's house (even after her passing). I think she was excited to host.

While here we also went for a drive to explore the area.  There really isn't much here although I think it is a very touristy area.  I think most people come here to fish on the Gulf of Mexico.  We've seen a lot of regular folks fishing, as well as commercial fishing boats.
       
While on our little trip we did see a couple of dolphins and a pelican eating fish guts thrown into the marina by the fisherman.  Of course by the time I got close enough to take a video the pelican was gone and the dolphins were not as visible....but if you look closely you'll see one surface.
                                                                             
Just to give you a bit of an idea of delta environment I took the following video as we crossed the Leeville Toll Bridge ($3.50 car $4.50 car & trailer).  This bridge must have been about 8 miles long.


                                 
Leave St. Bernard - 10:15 am (Wilson picked up gas at Walmart in St. Bernard Parrish before leaving $2.74/gal)
Rte. 39S►3137►Ferry Ride - Plaquemines Pride)►428W (La Palco Blvd.- to avoid New Orleans traffic)►90W►1S - 1/2 Hour stop at Walmart in Raceland, LA to pick up groceries (really not a bad place to shop) prior to going over the toll bridge
Arrive Grand Isle - 2:30 pm
Miles traveled - Approx. 140-150 - I'm a Slacker, I didn't write it down.....again

3 comments:

  1. Loving this - where are you now? 12/4 Meg & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Meg & Nancy! Thanks for reading our blog...one day a trip to your house will be included, you'll be famous :)
    We are currently finishing up our second pet/housesitting experience. You guys would love the pet/housesitting experience, it's right up your alley. No goats here though, only four cats filled with tons of individual personality - Alfie, the only male cat, extremely independent; Molly, youngest of them all and very precocious; Yuki, easy-going, could take you or leave you :), and last but not least Skye. Skye had a rough start to life, but has found a home that she feels safe in...as for Wilson and myself, she is just really letting us pet her without running away after being here for nearly a week.

    ReplyDelete