Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge....and of course the Super Bowl

Saturday - Monday, February 4-6, 2017


Our next stop really was precipitated in part because I wanted to go there but also because we wanted a place to stay where we could watch the Super Bowl...Man, what a game that was!


I mentioned previously Bosque Del Apache as a place that a 70 year old gentleman and his 90 something old father mentioned when we met them in Big Bend.  It sounded very interesting, especially to a birdwatcher like myself :)  We got a hotel in Socorro, NM, as there really isn't much in San Antonio where the refuge is...sorry, strike that, Conrad Hilton's family home (ruins) are there...we didn't see them though :)  


We spent Saturday afternoon at the refuge, driving the 12 mile loop while stopping off to see various birds and taking a couple of short hikes.  Three Tundra Swans had just arrived at the refuge, which from what I understand is very noteworthy to birders.  We saw many more ducks, blue herons, and other birds we have no clue what they were.  The highlight was seeing a couple of javelinas walk me, about 20 ft. away and the evening fly-out of the snow geese at dusk.  It was spectacular!

Like the Sandhill Crane the Snow Geese leave their feeding area each night to head to water areas. We waited and waited as we were told that it would happen at sunset.  Just when we gave it 15 more minutes they took off...the video doesn't really give it it justice because I missed the lift off and the lighting was not all that great....despite all that, it's still really cool.  Wilson marked it as a highlight of our trip!

 As I was heading out to watch the geese I was rewarded with a couple of javelinas crossing the path just 20 feet behind me...one of them actually stopped in the road and gave me a look as if he was saying, "what are you looking at?"

 

While at the hotel there were many other folks who were there to watch the birds and other wildlife.  Wilson and I enjoyed meeting, listening, and talking to people who know way more than we do about bird watching.  Bird watching people are very nice....Hey there Alisha!

Also one more important thing to note - We finally made it to a Sonic!!!  Yes, I'm talking about the drive-up fast food joint.  I know that I haven't talked about it before but Wilson and I have been determined to go to a Sonic, not only because we've seen advertisements and the restaurants all over, but because we enjoy trying various local fast food places, for the most part because of the experience.  Almost always, once is enough....but I must say that I would go back to Sonic for another coconut milkshake :)  The next fast food place is on our list, but as so often happens, neither of us can remember what the name of it is.....I'll definitely let you know when we get there...lol

Leave Elephant Butte SP 10am
Rte. Rock Canyon Rd►25N►Exit 150 Socorro, NM
Arrive Comfort Inn - Socorro - 12:20pm
Miles Traveled -80

No comments:

Post a Comment