Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Reconnecting with old friends in San Carlos Mexico

January 16 - 28, 2017

Hola Amigos!  Headed South of the border to reconnect with our friend Pab, who Wilson and I worked with nearly 30 years ago.  I can't even tell you how long it's been since we saw him.  He lives in San Carlos, spending his retirement fishing, making beer, and playing drums in a jazz trio.  He's been there for five years and has made a lot of great friends which we were so fortunate to meet.

Our first night there we went to a local restaurant where a friend of his played the piano as an accompaniment to a silent movie.   The following day we went out on his Ponga boat, which is a traditional Mexican fishing boat.  San Carlos was described to Wilson by someone as a sweet drinking village where people fish once in a while.  I must admit that our stay there was a bit detrimental to the health of my liver πŸ˜„ - (have you noticed that I recently found the emoticons on the blogger site πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜πŸ˜ŒπŸ˜‹?)


We had a great time reconnecting with Pab, meeting new people, and living a carefree life.  I'm sure that many of you are thinking "give me a break, what cares do you have?"  Trust me, our little taste of San Carlos takes carefree to another level.  A lot of U.S. & Canadians reside in San Carlos.

The weather here was in the high 60s & low to mid 70s and everyone was upset at how cold it was.

We had a very full two weeks and I can't even really relay all that we did.  The important piece is that we had a great time reconnecting with Pab, creating new memories, and reminiscing about earlier times.

I have other reflections that I will share a bit later....Teaser - Variety of retirement lifestyles - Oh yeah, we've experienced many different types and I spent a great deal of time reflecting on them during my stay there....of course it could have been persipitated by my continued altered state 😁😁

Leave Tucson 8:13am
Rte. I19S►15
Gas - Nogales U.S.A - Circle K $2.19/gal
9:55am Bienvenidos a Mexico
Arrive San Carlos - 3:38pm
Miles Traveled - 320

Gas prices were just raised in Mexico, creating demonstrations.
Exchange Rate - approximately 21pesos = 1 dollar
Food & Beverage are extremely cheap which is very dangerous for us.

People are making fun of the Trump Wall...Tecate beer has a commercial which is getting a lot of play there...check it out - Tecate Beer Commercial

Pictures:
1. Pab & his Ponga
2. The Marina
3. Brown Pelicans - These guys dive into the water to catch their food, and I could spend all day watching them.
4. Reflections
5. Haystack (Pab calls it Gum Drop) - filled with bird poop and cactus
6. Tetakawi aka Goat's Tits
7. Wilson Reflects on the Ponga
8. Pab & Me - Rockin' the Ponga


Check out San Carlos' website -  What's Up San Carlos?

   

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment