Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Carlbads Cavern National Park

Monday - Wednesday, February 6-8, 2017

Where to go next?  We need to be in Austin by 2/11 so we decide to head south to the Carlsbad, NM area, as we have the options to visit a couple of different National Parks.  Now, anyone who knows me that I don't particular like enclosed places or bats but I also don't like to be controlled by my fears so I suggest heading to Carlsbad Caverns as part of our next stop.  We find Brantley Lake State Park and set up camp there for a couple of nights.  Cost for camping with water and electricity is $14/night.  As far as state parks go, I would rate this as ok.  Facilities are a bit dated, but for $14/night, dated is fine with us.

    

Back to Carlsbad Caverns....it was amazing!  Of course this time of year there were no bats, as they winter in Mexico, but that was just fine with me.  Wilson and I hiked down from the Natural Entrance into what they call the Big Room.  The hike down into the cavern is the equivalent of going down an 80 story building and is approximately 1.2 miles, it took us about 50 minutes to get into the Big Room.  Before we started we were told that the elevator that generally brings people up is not operating, so if we hike down we must hike back up.  The thought of hiking back up was not an issue for me until we finished walking around the Big Room and I was getting tired....have no fear we hiked back up and did it in about the same time it took us to get down (actually five minutes shorter).  This was quite the accomplishment for us...as the hike was steep and basically consisted of all switchbacks (now I didn't know what a switchback was until we were hiking in Organ Pipe - of course I also didn't know the reference to the VT beer either).

I tried taking pictures but it's so dark in the cavern so not many of them came out.  I'll share what I have, but have decided to share links to websites as well so people can learn more about the places we visit and also get professional photos. 

    

Carlsbad Cavern NP Website
Carlsbad Cavern NP Photo Gallery

We were told to whisper as the sound from regular talking travels 1/4 of a mile.  In my effort to show that I went into the cave and share a little of it with you we created a short video.  Lighting was an issue so I came up with the idea to do it Blair Witch Project style...of course I whispered the information so you can't really hear me, but I still think it's funny. The area that I am describing is called the Painted Grotto which consists of soda straws and stalactites which are two forms of speleothems.  Speleothems are defined as secondary mineral deposits formed by the slow dripping of mineral rich water.



One of the things that I was most impressed with, actually more surprised by was that there were clean, flushing toilets in the cave...sounds kind of stupid but I didn't really expect them and let me tell you, it was a welcome relief (in more ways than one) to have them down there!  We were also pleasantly surprised that there were not that many people touring the cave.  We figured it was in part because it was the off season and we were sure that because the elevator was out it kept some people from going down into the cave.

Leave Socorro, NM 10:44am
Rte. 25S►380E►70E►285S►Country Rd. 30
Gas - 7-11/Alon in Socorro, NM $2.14/gal
Arrive Brantley Lake SP - 3:06pm
Miles Traveled - 237

No comments:

Post a Comment